The Bathala Project

Thursday, March 27, 2008

(another) sign of the times...

Greetings, via my new cellphone! A technological do-all, portable, atrophy-inducing piece of monstrosity! Ah, technology, how bittersweet it is...

On the way home from buying our new cell phones, I ask my mom, 'Back in the 70s, when casette players were first starting to come out, did you ever wonder what wonderful technologies that the next generation will enjoy?'

She replied: 'No.'

It doesn't surprise me that the typical guy to girl ratio in technology and science careers is along the lines of 5 to 1... but then again for us tech heads, gadgets and scientific discoveries has always been our reference points to times of progress...

It makes me wonder...

What do the non-tech dependant people of earth use as signs of their times? I suppose cost of living is universal, but I wonder about those esoteric symbols of other subcultures; like nex gen consoles to gamers, mixed martial arts to traditional martial artists, starting to like 'grown up clothes' for the twixers (early 20somethings), advances in crop growth to farmers...

As my thumbs fatigue from this tiny qwerty keyboard and my eyes strain on this portable, glowing piece of technological distraction, I suppose we must all look around at all times; for you never know what you see now in front of you, will eventually be a sign of the times...
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: