The Bathala Project

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

MAFA 2009

Well, it was a fun week and an intense weekend for the Midwest Association of Filipino Americans (MAFA) conference at Chicago!  Chicago is a beautiful, modern metropolis of sky-scraping towers, gorgeous and greasy foods, open-late bars and restaraunts, and is home to many of my second fam, my college friends.

Day 1 (Wednesday)
On the way:
P1020319

Checking out the local area around my hotel, the Inn of Chicago.  It was a dope spot; right in the middle of the downtown Chicago magnificent mile.  Snapped a few spots:
P1020333


P1020334

First taste of Chicago: Uno's Pizza. Fantastic! The crust was perfectly crispy...
P1020338

P1020339

It's been 3 years since I last seen snow fall from the sky. It was beautiful, the way the coat of white covered the black night...
P1020346

P1020347

Met up with some old alumni friends from my second fam, the Purdue Filipino Association. My homie DJ Rex was spinning at this bar that night. Chicago is the shit! They sell 40 OZ MICKEYS AT A BAR! My god...
P1020354

P1020359

P1020364

Ended up in Chinatown at 3 A.M. to grub. Awesome.
P1020370

P1020372


Day 2 (Thursday)
Went street stomping around the University of Illinois Chicago campus to make sure I wouldn't get lost the next day.  Pretty nice campus, it's right on the outskirts of the downtown city.  Not a big fan of the architecture there however... too blocky for my taste.

Leaving the hotel
P1020375

P1020385

Scoping out the campus...
P1020386

P1020390

P1020405

Tried some more Chicago pizza, Girodano's. It was good... but the crust wasn't as good as Uno's however. Cheese was fantastic!
P1020420

P1020422


Day 3 (Friday)
Friday, the day of the MAFA pre-show.  I would be performing some spoken word that night, but first, some more Chicago flavor!  My friend Christine brought me to Portillo's... I have to say, their dipped Italian beef is by far the BEST thing I've eaten that week!

P1020439


P1020445

P1020447

Got dropped off at the UIC campus for sound check for the pre-show. I was punctual, but all the rest... were on Filipino time unfortunately.
P1020469

Kapwa modern from Loyola University arrived:
P1020472

P1020478

Loungin...
P1020499

Air Tabigue, stand-up comedian
P1020511

Elizabeth "Abet" Lardizabal, fellow spoken word artist
P1020519

Show started well. I was the second act to go. As always, killed that mic and left the crowd cheering! hahahaha... they weren't ready for that aggressive, west coast spoken word steez! Photo courtesy of Gino


Homie Leo rockin it
P1020523

Air killin it
P1020528

Kapwa... money shot!
P1020530

At the end of the preshow, the presenters were trying to show a video but were having some technical difficulties. So, the MC's were trying to crack some really... corny jokes to keep it going. In true EMCEE fashion, I ran up and started busting freestyles to everyone's delight!  Photo courtesy of Paolo Constantino Photography


Met up with the Ethnik Roots Crew...
P1020565

Hiphoppers representin'
P1020568

What you see here.. is the new generation of my crew, the Purdue Filipino Association. It was great seeing my fam still growing and going!
P1020570

Since when was a mailbox a "Postal Station"?
P1020571


Day 4 (Saturday)
The big day of the conference.  Suited up to facilitate my workshop, I started getting ready by making Baybayin name cards for passer-bys... and ofcourse, when asked "Hey can you make me one too!"  I reply, "Go to my workshop, and we'll see!"  Hahahaha...
P1020576


School roll call! That dope ass PFA poster in the middle? 4 minutes by 4 men (including myself).
P1020583

Now THIS was dope. Back in my college hey-day, when our Filipino student-org was at our peak, we would pontificate about creating a midwest-FilAm student org committee, which would unite delegates of all Fil-Am student orgs across the Midwest to communicate and facilitate Midwest-wide events... THIS was their first meeting.
P1020587

And ofcourse, yours truly doing the Baybayin Writer's workshop! Just like the SCPASA conference workshop, this went great too! Not a single dozed-off or hung-over kid, all seemed quite receptive. And again, overhearing those "That workshop was DOPE" comments always brightens me up! :-D




Keynote speaker, the 2001 America's beauty.. queen. Or whatever her title was.  Giving an inspirational speech by speaking about how great she is...
P1020591

The hotel crew
P1020597

Current gen of PFA
P1020598

Freshman initiation...
P1020600

Went to go eat with some alumni and the PFA crew. Kimchee and seafood fried rice. Pretty good!
P1020607

THIS RIGHT HERE... is MY generation of PFA. This is a family photo, straight up.
P1020608

Went back to the campus for the Battle of the Bamboo show. With my old homie, Derrick (www.theroderick.com)
P1020617

All schools that performed on stage, and the UofI crew win! Props!
P1020632

Champs:
P1020635

Went to the afterset and then some afterwards... 
:-D


Day 5 (Sunday)
Had breakfast at the campus with some of the PFA crew, and then they went home.  It was great seeing them and sharing knowledge about the crew.  That's fam right there...
P1020688

I was completely exhausted from the conference at this point. Stayed in, watched Malcolm X, walked to Jimmy Johns (best!), ate a Hunter's Club, cried at it's magnificence, and went to bed...

Day 6 (Monday)
I was on a mission for my last day in Chicago to find a great Chicago hotdog, since I already had the deep dish pizza, the sub sandwich, and the italian beef...  So I went street stomping around down town to see wassup.  Stopped by a few spots first... 

Always been a fan of sartorialism
P1020690


Concept, cut, sew
P1020691

First place I found was "Downtown Dogs"
P1020693

This was good... but nothing special. Honestly, I felt like I could've bought everything that was on the dog at a Ralph's or Vons, and replicated the exact same flavors. But the potato chips were excellent!
P1020694

The second place was recommended by a barber. J's Dawgs 'n Burgers
P1020701

Presentation... was ass. Honestly, it LOOKS unimpressive, but it TASTES fantastic! The combination of all the topings and the hotdog link itself tasted very unique and culminated into the sum of a great dog! The fries were meh...
P1020702

Street stompin:
P1020706

P1020708

P1020710

P1020713

P1020715

My homegirl Christine called up, seein if I wanted to hang out for a lil bit and too some tourist stuff. So, we went to Navy Pier and what did I see? Another hot dog spot!
P1020722

As a hotdog, it was good, but the toppings weren't great. The pickle should've been cut up, and same with the peppers, because they were cumbersome to handle.
P1020724

Blasphemy!
P1020726

Gangsta pinhole ish
P1020728

Hotdog head
P1020735

P1020743

P1020736

In a last effort to see some Chicago sights, she brought me to "the bean". Ofcourse had to take some shots!
P1020795

P1020800

P1020809

Got dropped off at the hotel, and night fell. Still, I needed one last flavor of Chicago. Stomped around for a half mile or so and I found...
P1020819

On the menu, there's all these testimony's from food critics, newspapers, magazines, food blogs talking about how these are the best ribs in town! I got excited and ordered the BBQ sampler, which was a quarter chicken, half slab of baby back ribs, and a THICK ASS porkchop cut. And HONESTLY... it was OK. Actually somewhere between "good" and "meh". *sigh* ...nothing will ever beat the Southstreet Smokehouse in Lafayette Indiana to me...
P1020833

Tourists
P1020841

It was 11:45 pm, I had a shuttle to catch to the airport at 10 am, and I haven't packed yet.  I was planning to get a full night of sleep in... Until my friend calls me up and says, "we should go out for at least one more beer..." 4 am, I wind up at some Burrito shack:
P1020868

The burrito was good. Honestly, it reminded me of La Bambas, an old burrito joint at Purdue that shutdown a year after I graduated...
P1020871


Day 7 (Tuesday)
Finally packed, headed to the airport... I had a blast to say the least!  Met up with old friends, made alot of new ones, dropped some knowledge on Baybayin, got the word out about The Bathala Project, and ate tons of delicious Chicagoan food!  Chicago is a BEAUTIFUL city, and it's architecture could keep one entertained for days... however, something bothered me about the city.  

It was too... pretty.

Ofcourse, all downtown areas of all citys are going to be pretty because of the high influx of tourists and what not, which would be reason as to constant cleaning and buffing but still.  Even New York City and Los Angeles have their bridge underpasses of bums and used condoms, graffiti scrawls on roof tops, bottles and trash on the sidewalk... maybe it's just being from L.A. where the graffiti culture is so strong, but it didn't seem right without seeing a bit of paint (or even an off color buff mark) on the walls of such a beautiful city...

Airport homies:
P1020873


Got home, and the first place I hit: Lucky Boy Burgers in Pasadena for the best garden burger ever!
P1020874

It sure feels good again to not have to wear a jacket for fear of snow, and seeing the diversity of L.A. being just another common accepted thing in the city of Lost Angeles.

C.A. all day.

~cyph WIC

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's dope shit you kicked it wit Leo he a cool dude .

next time you in Chicago u gotta get home run inn pizza