The Bathala Project

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Catalina Cool Down...

Just got back from Catalina Island; it was beautiful. Reminded me of Guam, only with much more lighter skinned folks walking about...

P1040443

Spoken Word Sunday will be pushed to either Monday or Tuesday, as I'll be soon to reveal a few pieces this week, specifically this one I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. I've been trying to figure out ways to look at the Baybayin character form and how to translate its shape into a more American aesthetic to help represent Filipino Americans... I revealed glimpses of this idea here and there...

sneak peak

But never have I revealed exactly WHAT these scribbles have been leading to... until now.  I'm pleased to present to you all a sneak peak into the The Baybayin City Series: California

Initial Teaser

These are just the first initial characters and cities, but all has not been revealed yet. All city names have been translated into phonetic Baybayin, and stylized into English characters. It's taken me weeks to figure out how to do these, hours into the morning of vectoring them into Illustrator, and while I'm sure some writers will have their little gripes about the translations and character forms, the efforts are paying off. I'm hoping to do a whole series of cities that spotlight areas of high Filipino populations across the states, and later on other countries. Stay tuned as I uncover more...

Stay up,

~cyph
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: