The Bathala Project

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Kick-Flip

First of all, keep an eye out on either Twitter or Facebook for today's Free Swag Thursday trivia question!

Introducing the first Baybayin Skateboard Deck by The Bathala Project: The "Penguin" Deck



(RSS/AJAX importers (i.e. Facebook) click here to watch video)

The homie Pengwyn, sent me a deck to paint up for him. It was my first time painting on a skateboard deck, and it was alot of fun! Shoutout to all the kids that put up how-to videos onto youtube as to how to paint on a deck!

Baybayin Skateboard: close View

When I first started stylizing Baybayin, the first thing I could think of was to proliferate the characters into graffiti-like pieces and hand styles. I would do them on hats and give them to friends (Shoutout to Nasser, Bernice and Gyn!). It's been a while since I last did a full graffiti-style Baybayin piece, and I thought the deck's shape allotted the best space to do it. Pretty simple gradient fill in, yellow outline, no crazy techs used. Chunky old school steez...

Baybayin Skateboard: right view

Written is "Pengwen", the closest phonetic translation to "Penguin" I could think of without getting too complicated. It's not customary to translate English words into Baybayin characters, but f*ck it, I'm claiming poetic license for this one!

Baybayin Skateboard: Left View

Acrylic and Deco on skateboard deck. Clear coat acrylic applied over top layer.

Baybayin Skateboard

~cyph


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: